St. Gertrude Roman Catholic Church


Interview taped on May 9th, 2013

 

St. Gertrude Roman Catholic ChurchSt. Gertrude Roman Catholic Church, Vandergrift

Easter Sunday, April 10th, 1898, marked the celebration of Vandergrift’s first Roman Catholic Mass. Held at a small church built on the knoll at the east end of town, it was eight years later an architect was commissioned to build a new church on land purchased by Arch Abbot Boniface Wimmer, O.S.B., founder of St. Vincent’s College and Seminary. The church is a basilica plan in the Romanesque style. To this day the church continues with pastors from the Benedictine Order. The heart of St. Gertrude’s is the men and women of faith who have gathered together for prayer, worship, and fellowship as part of their parish life. St. Gertrude has approximately 800 families as members and is very active with programs for men, women and choir. One program is the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). This is the process through which interested adults and older children are gradually introduced to the Roman Catholic faith and way of life. The Men’s Club is the backbone of the church facilities by helping with work. The Catholic Daughters of America are also very active with projects. The Knights of Columbus, a national organization of men, has a very strong chapter at St. Gertrude’s. One of their strengths is in the continuous work for Pro Life. Their charitable outreach is through the St. Vincent de Paul Society. The church also holds spaghetti dinners.

Pastor: James Loew, O.S.B.

Service Schedule: Masses are Saturday at 4:00 p.m., Sunday at 8:00 and 10:30 a.m. and at 8:30 a.m. weekdays

Confraternity of Christian Doctrine: K-5 Sunday 9:15-10:15 a.m.; September-May

Location: 303 Franklin Avenue, Vandergrift, PA

Telephone: 724-568-2331

Website: sgcatholic.org